Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Swaffham Prior
  • Back Forward
A large two-story brick country house features a long facade, a grand pillared entrance, and a curved wing on the right side.

Swaffham Prior House (photo J H Bullock) (Cambridgeshire Collection

Swaffham Prior House

History of Swaffham Prior House

Listed Building, Park and Garden

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1000396?section=official-list-entry

Small country house mostly mid-late C18 but having C17 origins. In C19 the house was extended. … In 1751 the house was acquired by Dr John Peter Allix and the house remained in this family until c1980.


The house began as the manor house of an estate called Knights which was taxed on 17 hearths in 1667.

John Peter Allix (1679-1758) appointed vicar of Swaffham Prior in 1752. By 1953 he had bought the manor of Knights so that his son Charles (1716-1794) would be considered a landed gentleman. Charles remodelled the house here. On his death he left his Swaffham prior estate to his younger son, John Peter Allix (1749-1817).

He passed the house on to his eldest son, John Peter Allix (1785-1848) who created a small park. He led local volunteers during the Napoleonic Wars and became MP for the county in the 1840s.

1848 the estate passed to his brother, a retired Colonel of the Grenadier Guards who had fought under Wellington in the Peninsular Wars and at Waterloo.

1862 the estate passed to his son, Charles Peter Allix (1842-1921), magistrate, antiquarian and railway promoter.

In 1897 the marriage of Miss Isabelle Maude Allix of Swaffham Prior House and Captain Edward Young of the Royal Engineers.

1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing Swaffham Prior House, labeled with parcel numbers and surrounded by wooded grounds.

Swaffham Prior House OS 1901

1929 Newspaper reports note that the house was the home of Mr and Alexander Gemmell, owner of the winner of that year’s Grand National steeplechase at Liverpool, the horse ‘Gregalach’. (Note from DO 2025)

1945 After WWII Charles Peter Allix’s son, Charles Israel Lorraine Allix (1872-1960) returned to Swaffham House.

1982 Swaffham Prior House and park sold to Sir Miachael Marshall, son of aircraft engineer Sir Arthur Marshall.

 

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Swaffham Prior

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Swaffham Prior

110 High Street, Waggon and Horses, Linton

The Cottage, 9 Back Lane, Barrington

documents

St Andrew the Less / Barnwell Priory, Cambridge

70 High Street, Swaffham Prior

Pound, Lock, Fire Engine House, Cage Hill, Swaffham Prior

Swaffham Prior Drinking Fountain

Long Barrow nr Partridge Hall Farm, Swaffham Prior

Reach or Swaffham Prior Roman Villa

Bowyers Cottage, 74 Commercial End, Swaffham Bulbeck

84 High Street, Swaffham Prior

Baldwin Manor, Swaffham Prior

45 High Street, Shadworth House, Swaffham Prior

4 High Street, The Hall, Swaffham Prior