Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Bermuda Road (western end)

History of Bermuda Road

Matching the surviving properties at the west end of Bermuda Road with the historic information is a little difficult.

West of no. 15 there are now three old cottages, nos 13 and 14, and detached, no. 12.

The OS maps in the early 20th century show gardens west of no. 15. Most of the properties were demolished, probably in the late 20th century.

The 1925 map shows how originally Bermuda Road ran into Histon Road.

Bermuda Road 1925 OS

1901:

(7) Ellen Burlingham [Birmingham in census], 46, b Norfolk

Jacob, 16, grocer’s porter, b Norfolk

Amos, 14, errand boy, b Norfolk

……………

1911:

(1) John Cullum, 64, greengrocer, b Waterbeach

Elizabeth, 71, greengrocer, b Norfolk

Horace George, 32, picture dealer and framer, b Waterbeach

Ellen Burlingham, 56, visitor, cook, b Norfolk

Amos Burlingham, 24, visitor, college servant kitchen, b Norfolk

By 1913 Amos was married and living at 5 Portugal Place.

For more information see Mill Road Cemetery entry.

………….

1913:

  1. Walter Lander, labourer

2. Arthur Morrell, greengrocer

Trinity Beagles Kennel: Robert Float, caretaker

Garden Cottages (1): William Joseph Bell, labourer

Garden Cottages (2): John Watts, sailor RN

Garden Cottages (3): George Batterby

7. William Barrett, college servant

8. Robert Float

9. Reginald Ruse

GARDENS

Ivy Cottages etc…..

………….

1962:

2: –

3. D Styles, general dealers

4. Derrick Badcock

5. Roger Abbs

6. Benjamin G Mander

7. Ernest Doggett

8. Rt Edward Harper

9. A H Coe

10. G Foster

11. F Blunn

12. Stanley Pledger

14. Arthur Wallis

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.