A Wikipedia article about the history of Barnwell can be found here:
Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: Houses several hundreds, in the Barnwell area ….. are mostly but in terraces, often of great length, and of two storeys with Gault brick walls and slate covered roofs. the greater part of the area lay in the parish of St Andrew the Less. The Inclosure Act of 1807 and the Award of 1811, by making possible the sale and division of the open fields, resulted in the extensive building development described here. The original award and map shows Barnwell as a village with houses bordering the Main Street E and W of the church. Few of these could have antedated the fire of 1731, which destroyed fifty dwellings. Notices in the Cambridge Chronicle confirm that houses were built soon after the inclosure; their position is not exactly determinable but some were built beside or near Newmarket Road. New tenements are noted in 1814 near the Theatre, then under construction, and Nos. 32 and 34 are of about this date. The age of the earliest buildings in Fitzroy Street, on the N towards the E end, is indicated by the death in 1811 of Augustus Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton, Chancellor of the University
Detailed background information about Barnwell can also be found here:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.