Marie Clark recalls in ‘Memories of Abbey and East Barnwell’ p.9:
The first airfield occupied land near the Coldham’s brook at the bottom of Cut Throat lane.
The original aerodrome opened in 1929 on what has become known as the Whitehill Estate. Now only the track leading to the grass track strip remains; this is Cut Throat Lane. The airport moved to its present site in the late 1930s when the Whitehill area was purchased by the Borough Council for housing.
Frederick J Pope (born 1905) remembered in the CEN 1988: The approach to Ditton Walk Farm was down Cut Throat Lane [originally Cut Through Lane] which was opposite the entrance to the VD hospital in newmarket Road. The Lane was very dark because the last light from the town was on Barnwell Bridge by the Leper Chapel, and that was blacked out, giving only a spot of light on the path. Mr Stearns’ sweet shop was the only light in the lane, so we used to gather there. It was very eerie going down the Walk to choir practice.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.