Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Barnwell / Abbey Cambridge
  • /
  • Riverside
  • Back Forward
A bright red cylindrical pillar box stands on a pavement with a circular top edge densely covered in pointed metal spikes.

Photo by Bob Cox-Wrightson

Spiked Pillar Box

Pillar Box, Riverside

At the junction of Priory Road and Riverside is a rare ‘anonymous’ pillar box, made all the more unusual because of the spikes on the top.

Cylindrical pillar boxes were introduced in 1879, but it took 13 years to add the royal cypher and the words “Post Office”. There are a number of these ‘anonymous’ pillar boxes in Cambridge.

It is thought that this pillar box was moved from its original location near the gasworks – now Newmarket Road Tesco – with the spiky top remaining, which was originally added to stop people using it to climb over the gasworks wall.

Projects

  • Riverside

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Riverside

17 River Side, North View, Cambridge

audio

40 Riverside, River Side, Cambridge

44 River Side, Cambridge

30 River Side, Cambridge

15 River Side, Olive Cottage, Cambridge

36 River Side, Cambridge

22 River Side, Ivydene, Cambridge

37 River Side, Cambridge

24 River Side, Mysore, Cambridge

45 River Side, Cambridge