Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Castle Cambridge
  • /
  • Benson Street
  • Back Forward

Playfair, Benson Street

History of Playfair

1891

Furniture Store


1901


1911


1912

Playfair works moves here from Searle Street

See Gray family history:


1913

Playfair Works


1918 02 27

A fire which caused considerable damage broke out at about six o’clock in the morning in the main building of H.G. Gray’s Athletic Works, Benson Street. The three-storey building, used partly as a workshop and partly as a storehouse, stood a few feet back from the road and adjoined a row of cottages. The flames were confined to the works and the cottages escaped damage. 18 02 27g; 18 03 06d

Credit: Mike Petty, Cambridge Huntingdon Road Scrapbook.


1937

Henry John Gray and sons, athletic outfitters (Playfair works)


1962 9-21

H J Gray and Sons, sports goods manufacturers (Playfair works)

See A Community Remembers: Histon Road p.28


1973

9.6.1973 local newspaper reported that Gray’s had. defied a Council order to stop work on a second storey extension.

Projects

  • Benson Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Benson Street

25, The Limes, Benson Street

10 Benson Street

2 Benson Street

3 (2) Benson Street

5 (3) Benson Street

11 (2 Benson Cottages) Benson Street

1 Benson Street

27 Benson Street

16 Benson Street

Benson Street – Mapping Relief