Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Castle Cambridge
  • /
  • Huntingdon Road Area
  • Back Forward

Schlumberger Gould Research Centre, (SEBRO)

History of the Schlumberger Gould Research Centre

1939-1945

Short Bros operated a Civilian Repair Depot (CRO) on this site known as SEBRO. There were a number of hangars constructed in 1942, demolished in 1960. Aircraft, mainly Short Stirling bombers. were repaired and town along the A45 to Bourn airfield for final testing and delivery.


Pevsner describes this  as ‘ an astonishing building by Sir Michael Hopkins & Partners, 1982-4 … it establishes the image of the early High Tech school: low-rise, exact, technocratic structure for ‘clean’ industrial purposes … the knockout feature here … is the use of Teflon-coated glass-fibre.’

General information about the company Schlumberger can be found on Wikipedia.

 

Tags

  • Listed building
  • world war two

Projects

  • Huntingdon Road Area

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Huntingdon Road Area

Home Farmhouse, 48 High Street, Guilden Morden

1 Church Lane, Milton

Roman site near Old Fordey Farm, Barway

145 Huntingdon Road

138 Huntingdon Road, Neale House

Howe House Nurseries, Huntingdon Road

Howes Close Farm, Howes Close, Huntingdon Road

136 Huntingdon Road

78 Huntingdon Road, Cambridge

143 Huntingdon Road

Gravel Hill Farm, Cambridge

162 Huntingdon Road

28 / 30 Huntingdon Road, Westfield House, Cambridge