Shelly Row (MoC140/72)
Shelly Row, west side, Cow and Calf, Cambridge
History of Shelly Row, west side
The actual historic address of this corner of Shelly Row and Albion Row is rather elusive. The west side of Shelly Row between Albion Row and Pound Hill is sometimes described as Pound Hill (West)
These buildings were probably on the west side, just to the north.
1913 Pound Hill (west side) from the north
14. Cow and Calf, James Hunt
Mason’s Court
- vacant
- Mrs Arnold
- Mrs Hobson
- Miss Norman
- Mrs Stearn
- Mrs Elsden
- Joseph Kempton
- John Howlett
26 February 1979
One of the longest-serving landlords in Cambridge is Noel Archdeacon and his wife Hannah Mae of the Cow and Calf public house on Pound Hill. They are particularly well-known to their Irish regulars, several of whom were customers at their two previous Cambridge pubs, both of which have disappeared. The Britannia in East Road was demolished years ago and The Swan in Norfolk Street is now a private house. Their present pub has belatedly had a complete internal facelift and now has one large lounge where there is plenty of room for the new pool table.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 79 02 26.
Sources
- Mike Petty Archive
Projects
Contribute
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please
let us know using the Contact page or by
emailing capturingcambridge@
Licence
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated by
.

