Primitive Methodist Chapel St peter's Street
Primitive Methodist Chapel, St Peter’s Street
History of the Methodist Chapel, St Peter's Street
1912: from the Christian Messenger 1912:
The immediate hope of our church and the point of strategical importance is in St. Peter’s Street. It is close to the colleges and near town and suburbs. It is also in a working-class district and adjacent to two main thoroughfares. A cause has been in the locality from the commencement, and at the present time our strongest society is found there. In spite of disabilities, there are encouraging features. In one way and another, many young people are attached to the place, and the Band of Hope, a crowded institution, worked with unflagging zeal, is by far the largest in the town, and contributes fully half the numbers of the annual town procession.
The structure, however, is quite unequal to modern needs. With a cellar-school, without a vestry, without even a class room, unless two tiny shuttered spaces can be so called, and in a building on which the total outlay fifty years ago was only £954 our church is attempting to retain its young and strengthen its hold amid all the well-equipped buildings and architectural splendours of present-day Cambridge! It is magnificent, but it is not war.
Recognising this, the society is now preparing for a new venture. More than two years ago property was bought which stands back to back with the present premises and fronts the main road. On this thoroughfare it is intended soon to put up a structure which will be a credit to the Connexion and a useful centre for the work. As regards aspect, the situation is ideal. Standing on a slight hill, the proposed tower will be easily seen. The road is the main Cambridge artery. Certainly in future, the church will not suffer from being out of sight and out of mind. The church itself is to seat between four and five hundred people and the schools to accommodate about four hundred scholars. The outlay, inclusive of site, fixed provisionally at £5,000. It is expected to lay the stones in 1913
1913: Primitive Methodist Chapel
Rev G Windram
Rev G Windram, minister
1962: not listed