Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Free School Lane
  • Back Forward
Three-storey timber-framed building on a corner with Friar House signage and a large To Be Let sign on the exterior wall.

1-2 Free School Lane
1974, (MoC558/74)

1 – 2 Free School Lane, Friar House, (Luttburne Lane)

History of 1 - 2 Free School Lane

See also 12 Bene’t Street

House nos. 1 and 2 at the corner of Bene’t Street is of three storeys with basement and attics. The walls are of plastered timber-framing elaborated with modern applied timber. It was built either as one or two tenements late in the 16th cent. Extensive alterations have been made; the present shop front to no.1 is of the 18th cent. (1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge)

Luttburne Lane appears on a map of 1574.

1851

(1) Mary Sandifer, widow, 70, bookseller and stationer, b Haddenham

Sarah Sandifer

Servant, 14, b Haslingfield

(2) Charles West, 57, proprietor of houses, b Middlesex

Mary, retired story maker


A printed advertisement from 1871 for James Catling, an auctioneer and accountant based at 1 Free School Lane, Cambridge.

1 Free School Lane advert, 1871 (MoC236/71)


1887

(1)

Frederick Haywood, bookseller

(2)

Arundell and Tarte, architects and surveyors


1935

Framed black and white photo of the timber-framed Friar House Restaurant in Cambridge with the year 1935 printed below it.

Friar House Restaurant 1935

The back of a framed document with handwritten notes about family members involved with the Friar House restaurant.

Friar House Restaurant photo reverse (1935)

Photo kindly sent by family which shows family details including ownership of the Friar House restaurant by the Curry family in the 1940s and 1950s. See 12 Bene’t Street entry.


1937

A 1937 street view of Bene't Street, featuring a timber-framed Friar House restaurant on the right and the Eagle Hotel opposite.

Bene’t Sreet and Free School Lane, 1937 (photo J Baldwin)

The road had been widened in 1908 and made a one-way street in 1936.

G M Wyatt, The Friar House Cafe


1962 not listed in Kellys


1965 (2a)

Sunil Kumar, photographer


1970 (2)

Oriental Restaurant


1974

A black and white street scene showing the timber-framed Friar House building, with two people walking along the pavement.

Friar House, 1974 (MoC 612/74)

A handwritten note in black ink dated March 1974 discussing the history of Friar House at the corner of Benet Street.

Friar House, 1974

 

 

Projects

  • Free School Lane

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Free School Lane

6 Free School Lane

Free School, 14 & 15 Free School Lane

documents

3 Free School Lane (Luttburne Lane)

Old Cavendish Laboratory, Free School Lane

7 Free School Lane

5 Free School Lane

8 Free School Lane

10 Free School Lane

4 Free School Lane

11 Free School Lane