Search by topic
Search by text
117 King Street, Knight & Mortlock’s Almshouses
History of 11 King Street
Notes on the history of the Knight and Mortlock almshouses can be found on British History Online:
Knight and Mortlock’s almshouses were founded by will of Elizabeth Knight (proved 1647). Legacies from Elizabeth Knight’s kinsmen increased the stipends of the two widows and four spinsters who were inmates. The almshouses were rebuilt in 1818 by Alderman William Mortlock who also, apparently, looked after the charity generally and prevailed on the Corporation as trustees to administer it in accordance with the trusts. Between 1880 and 1883 the charity property at the corner of Jesus Lane and King Street was rebuilt and the almshouses were moved from the Jesus Lane to the King Street side. These almshouses, together with those of St. Anthony and St. Eligius, are now managed by the Municipal Charities, and in 1951 the inmates of both received £156 3s. 11d. altogether, which came partly from the funds of other charities managed by the same trustees.
1913: Miss A Stone
1962: L Boyce