Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • King Street
  • Back Forward
A street scene showing the Cambridge Arms pub on a corner next to a shop named P.O. Reed under a bright, overcast sky.

Cambridge Arms, Fitzroy Street (MoC11.92.70)

6 (7) King Street, The Cambridge Arms, Cambridge

History of 6 King Street

1861 (7)

Richard Dixon


1871 unnumbered King Street

George Scales, 36, brewer and  spirit merchant, b Norfolk

Hannah, 38, b Thriplow

William, 18, grocer’s assistant, b Ely

George, 11, b Cambridge

Henry, 9, b Cambridge

Albert, 7, b Cambridge

Alfred, 2, b Cambridge

Julia, 11 mos, b Cambridge

Harry Wallis, nephew, 17, clerk, b Thriplow

Edward Dearsley, 20, servant, barman, b Cambridge

Harriet Balding, 18, governess, b Wisbech

Francis Ramson, 26, cook, b Stapleford

Ann Parker, housemaid, housemaid, b Rampton

Emily Hammer, visitor, 27, housekeeper, b Thriplow

In 1861 the Scales family were at the Willow Tree, Willow Walk.


1881 (7)

George Scales, 47, brewer and spirit merchant, b Norfolk

Hannah, 48, b Triplow

Albert S, 17, brewer’s  apprentice, b Cambridge

Julia, 10, b Cambridge

Hannah, 8, b Cambridge

Amelia Bullen, niece, 29, b Cambridge

Laura Stallybrass, servant, 48, b Triplow

The Scales brewery was established in 1866 at 7 King Street and remained in his ownership until 1925. In that year Scales was providing beer to 13 Cambridge pubs. Some artefacts of the brewery are in the possession of the Industrial Archaeology Museum. George Scales also ran Scales Hotel, later the Portland Arms.


1901 (7) Cambridge Arms

George Scales, 66, brewer wine spirits, b Norfolk


1913 (6)

Alfred Scales

(6a) Frank G Hills, watchmaker


1925

Property purchased by Barclay Perkins


1962

(6-16) H W Peak Ltd


10 April 1980 – Cambridge Arms restored as historic brewery building
Major alterations to the Cambridge Arms in King Street preserved the former Cambridge Brewery buildings, which had stood semi-derelict since brewing ceased in 1925. Established by George Scales in 1866, the brewery had once supplied thirteen public houses. The refurbishment created the new Scales Bar, extending beneath the old brewing floor and retaining the brick arches that supported the brewing coppers and chimney above. Historic brewing equipment removed during the work was returned and put on display.

Source: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge King Street Scrapbook 1897–1990, Item: 80 04 10.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Projects

  • King Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

King Street

34 (21) King Street

123 King Street, Knight & Mortlock’s Almshouses

101 (66) King Street

90 (48) King Street, Jakenett’s Almshouses, Merrill’s Almhouse

75 (79) King Street, Cambridge

2 King Street

95 (69) King Street

16 King Street, Cambridge

Knights

105 (65) King Street