Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Wray’s Almshouses, King Street

History of Wray's Almshouses

The 1831 New Guide to Cambridge states: Wray’s Almshouses which have been lately repaired and new fronted, they were founded in 1620, by Henry Wray, stationer, for four poor widowers and as many widows of trinity parish, each of whom receives from the rents of certain estates and the interest of money invested for their benefit, about 20l per annum.

The Almshouses were remodelled in 1838 with a passage to a courtyard on the N flanked by ranges each of four dwellings wholly of 1838. (see 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of  Cambridge)

……………………………..

1913

  1. Mrs Thring
  2. Mrs Whittaker
  3. Mrs Lawrence
  4. Mrs Brown
  5. M J Smith
  6. E Green
  7. Henry Brown
  8. W E Dealtry

1962

  1. Mrs F Ingall
  2. Miss E eavis
  3.  vacant
  4. Mrs S A Churcher
  5. Harry Halls
  6. James McLean
  7. P Hannan
  8. Thomas F Slevin

2018

demolished

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.