Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

2 Lensfield Road / 41 Regent Street, The Carlton

History of 2 Lensfield Road

Late 18th cent.

1861: ?


James Clarke, 36, innkeeper, b Cambridge

Martha, 33, b Swaffham

Martha Reel, 7, niece, b Swaffham

Anne L Rodwell, 6, niece, b Swaffham



Frances Cash, 50, publican, b Cambridge

Thomas Jiggins, son in law, 30, butler, b Cambridge

Emily Jiggins, daughter, 22, b Cambridge



Charles W Painham, 31, publican, b Lincoln

June R, 41, b Hants

Mary E, 2, b Cambridge

Charles W, 7 mos, b Cambridge

Florence E Cook, 16, servant, b Cambridge



Percy E Rust, 28, publican, b Norfolk

Theresa, 29,  b Northants


1911: Lensfield Road

Edward Bettesworth, 40, publican

Annie, 40, assistant in business,

Eva, 8, b Cambridge

Charles Cummins, visitor, 28,

Thomas Burness, visitor, 28,


1913: The Carlton

Edward Arthur Bettesworth

7/7/1933: The Carlton public house in Lensfield Road owned by Lacons brewery had seen an increase in trade following the Budget decrease. There had been no complaints about the tenant, Edward Bettesworth, who was getting a living and wanted to retain it. Its licence was renewed but not those of the Coach and Horses on Newnham Road or the Alhambra on East Road where there were five other pubs within 220 yards and the trade was decreasing. (Cam. Press)


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing