Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

6 Lensfield Road, 43 Regent Street, The Oak

History of 6 Lensfield Road

1861: ?

1871: 43 Regent Street

Frances M Marshall, widow, 36, publican, b Middlesex

Frances M, 18, ???, b Cambridge

Harry N, 10, chorister, b Cambridge

Phoebe Cox, servant, 22, b Middlesex

……………

1881: ?

…………….

1891: 43 Regent Street

Francis Marshall, licensed victualler,

Frances M, music teacher

Margaret Bailey, 19, servant, b Surrey

……………..

1901: 43 Regent Street – The Oak

Henry J Cooper, 48, publican, b London

Mary, 50, b Middlesex

May, 18, b Cambridge

…………….

1911: Lensfield Road

Samuel Ward Hillyard, 41, publican, b London

Laura, 34, b Norfolk

…………….

22/6/1936: The landlord of The Oak in Lensfield Road was awakened by a terrible crash which shook the whole property. He found a Winston Smith van imbedded in the woodwork. It had been crossing the junction with Regent Street and Hills Road at about 4 a.m. when another van ran into it swinging it right round and smashing it backwards into the wooden wall of the pub. At this time of the morning the traffic lights are off and it is against the law to sound a horn or hooter. (Cam. Press)

4/12/1981: The Oak in Lensfield Road had a world-wide reputation as a centre for good Irish music. Before modernisation it was a wonderful place. Playing sessions would start up automatically on Friday nights, Saturday lunchtimes and Sundays too. But now venues for Irish music are fast disappearing in Cambridge. The demise of the Ancient Druids was another blow and the Cow and Calf on Pound Hill is virtually the only one remaining. (Cambridge News)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.