Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Market Passage
  • Back Forward
A white rectangular street sign reading MARKET PASSAGE in black serif text with a small red and blue heraldic crest on the left.

Market Passage

History of Market Passage

A row of tall yellow brick buildings lines a street, featuring a David Clulow opticians shop with a teal-colored storefront.

Description:

https://www.greatercambridgeplanning.org/media/liklubuk/market-passage.pdf

1891 The building where the first electricity for lighting in Cambridge was generated is now on the market. The property, No.2 Market Passage, was the premises of Bailey, Grundy and Barrett, electrical contractors. In 1891 the firm produced the first electricity for lighting in the city with a gas engine and a dynamo installed in the basement. In those early days private electrical generating plants were supplied by the company to several of the Cambridge colleges. Until after the 1914-18 war such plants continued to be installed in country houses in outlying districts. As this business declined, the company moved into wireless, the design and making of temperature control equipment for laboratories and other specialised apparatus. (Cam.News)

Projects

  • Market Passage

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Market Passage

Black Bear Inn

North Side Market Passage

14 – 15 Market Passage