Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • Back Forward
A pale brick house and long low buildings sit behind a wall with faded, hand-painted lettering on Midsummer Common in 1935.

Callaby’s 1935. (photo L Cobbett) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Midsummer House, Callaby’s, Midsummer Common

History of Midsummer House

1891

Richard Callaby, head, 79, dog fancier, b Norfolk

Maria, 90, b Essex

Maria, 41, dressmaker, b Essex

 

Robert R Royston, head, 62, artist and painter, b Cambridge

Sarah, 62, b Cambridge

Alice M M, 31, b Cambridge

Royston family were previously at 10 King Street

A dark rowing blade decorated with painted text, three heraldic shields, and the names C.J.M. Adie and R.H. Sanderson from 1900.

Robert Royston blade (Museum of Cambridge)

Close-up of a heraldic shield with the name ROYSTON painted in light lettering underneath on a dark background.

Robert Royston signature on blade (Museum of Cambridge)

A green wooden rowing oar blade inscribed with the names of the 1895 Cambridge University crew and a central university crest.

Robert Royston painted blade, Museum of Cambridge

A painted crest showing a golden lion on a red shield, beside gold lettering on a dark grey, wood-textured background.

Royston signature on blade (Museum of Cambridge)

A painted rowing oar blade featuring two heraldic shields and gold-lettered text detailing crew members and a rowing record.

Robert Royston painted blade, Museum of Cambridge


1901

Robert R Royston, widower, 72, herald painter

Flora S, 49, herald painter,

Alice M M, 44, herald needleworker


1916 (Kellys)

Misses Royston


Vanishing Cambridge, Mike Petty, notes: Callaby’s sign lasted long after his death. Callaby was a familiar character at the turn of the century; with a long-backed fancy mongrel under his arm he greeted undergraduates: ‘Want a little dawg, sir? Buy this one sir?’ At his home beside the Fort St George public house on Midsummer Common he also offered stables for University boat horses at 3/- and dogs at 2/6 [A E Reeve].

Tags

  • rowing

Projects

  • Centre Cambridge

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Centre Cambridge

165 Chesterton Road, Cambridge

61 St Andrew’s Street

The Mays by Enid Porter

Great Bridge / Magdalene Bridge, Cambridge

Mewes Yard

Eaden Lilley, Market Street, Cambridge

Harts Yard / Harts Passage / Harts Court

50 Bridge Street

12 Park Parade, Cambridge

1 – 6 Clement Lane / Passage

1 Alexandra Street, YMCA, Cambridge

Jesus Lane – Mapping Relief

16 Trinity Street