Search by topic
Search by text
(19 Parkside) Northlands
History of 19 Parker's Piece
Cecil Frank Rumsey
The headquarters of the No 1 First Eastern General Hospital in 1939 was in a house on Parkside where the police station was later built. [It is assumed to be this house but might have been next door.]
First Eastern General Hospital 1939
The First Eastern was called up three days before war was declared and within a few weeks took up their first posting in Kimbolton Castle. The commanding officer was Col C H Budd.
In January 1940 they went to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force and were based at Camiers. After Dunkirk, they were based a various locations – Tidworth, Cornwall, Devon, Leeds and then in September 1942, Northern Ireland at Carrickfergus.
After D-Day they were based at Arromanches then at various locations in Normandy.
Six months later they were retrained and embarked for India.
Robert Stevenson of 115 Mowbray Road seems to have served with the First Eastern General.