Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
38, 39 & 40 Parkside

39 Parkside, (16) Park House

History of 39 Parkside

Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: not in R G Baker’s map of Cambridge of 1830, but date from the same decade for they are shown in the print of the Coronation Dinner of 1838. No. 39 is equipped with an outside bell and heavy bars in a number of windows suggesting an institutional purpose. before 1850 the Rev James Scholefield, Regius Professor of Greek, established in Park Side a ‘Female Servants’ Training Institution.

1851: Park House

Mary Ann Willis, widow, 58, fundholder, b London

 

Edward Morris, 33, barrister, not practising, b Wales

 

Ann Raymond, 41, land proprietor, b Essex

 

Henry H Baber, 75, rector of Stretham, b Yorks

 

Elizabeth Butterfield, 67, head housekeeper, b Worcester

 

…………..

1861: ? census damaged

…………….

1871: (16)

William Basham, 42, woollen draper, b Cambs

……………..

1881: (16)

Richard Reynolds Rowe, 56, architect, b Cambridge

……………..

1891: (16)

Richard R Rowe, 66, architect, b Cambridge

………………

1901: (16)

Charlotte Rowe, 66, b Lincs

……………..

1911: (Park House)

Philip Allin, 57, engineer, b Devonshire

……………….

1913: Park House (16)

P H Allin

……………….

1962: (39)

Sydney A Chapman

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.