Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

38-39 St Andrew’s Street, Arts Picturehouse, The Regal

History of 38-39 St Andrew's Street

The Regal opened in 1937 and was the largest cinema in Cambridge. It closed in 1997. However the site was acquired by Wetherspoons and the original restaurant converted back into a cinema.

1/10/1935: Cambridge Justices approved the plans of Associated British Cinemas for a new cinema to be erected in St Andrew’s Street. The site had been left derelict after fire burnt down a large part of the Castle Hotel in 1934. The application was opposed by the Theatre Cinema and the Rendezvous. There were nine cinemas in Cambridge with 6,300 seats and it would be impossible for them all to carry on if a super cinema like this were built. The Victoria was built four years ago, the Arts Theatre was completely new and the Rendezvous was having more seats and an organ. But the Cosmopolitan had closed and the Guildhall and Corn Exchange licences were rarely used. (Cam.News)

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.