Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
63 St Andrew's Street. Built by Henry Ranch and known as Rance's Folly. Demolished in 1954

62 – 63 St Andrew’s Street

History of 62-63 St Andrew's Street

1851: (66 St Andrew’s)

Henry Rance, 44, solicitor, b Ely

Caroline, 36, b Newmarket

Henry W H, 8, b Cambridge

Rosaline C M, 6, b Cambridge

Edith Hills, 31, servant

Elizabeth F Shangward, 33, servant, b Hunts

Keren H Smith, 20, servant, b Suffolk

………………………….

Henry Rance mayor of Cambridge

Henry Rance

Born Ely. Conservator of the River Cam, a director of Accident Insurance Company and lessee of Barnwell Theatre. Also a director of the new Gas Company. Built luxurious mansion in St. Andrew’s Street (known as Rance’s Folly) which sported a magnificent dining room. It had four lifts and a roof-top tennis court. His reputation for hospitality was lavish and he spent many thousands of pounds a year entertaining. Alderman for Trinity ward, but had to leave because of non-attendance at meetings for beyond the statutory period. His aldermanic seat was taken by Councillor Joshua Taylor. https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/media/3891/cambridge-mayors.pdf

………………………………

1871: (63 St Andrew’s)

Henry Rance, 64

Caroline,

Henry W H

Rosalie C M

Ricarda C

Edith Hills, cook, 54, b Little Eversden

Julianna Toffill, 21, housemaid, b Cambridge

George Thomas Willson, 22, footman, b Cambridge

…………………………….

1881: (62 St Andrew’s)

Henry Rance

Caroline

…………………………….

1913:

University Syndicate’s Vice-Chancellor’s and University Marshal’s Rooms – Alfred Brockett University Marshal

University Appointments Board

Board of Indian Civil Service Studies

Military Board of Studies

Foreign Service Students’ Committee

(63-64) Ginn & Co solicitors – Samuel Reuben Ginn

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.