History of South Street
South Street is a road that disappeared with the development of the Anglia Ruskin University site. It originally ran in between and parallel with Bradmore and Broad Streets.
In 1913 on the north side were nos. 1-55 and on the south side nos. 2 – 64.
George Tredgett, 39, gardener, b Castle Camps
Mary, 39, b Bottisham
Harvey, 18, assistant gardener, b Bottisham
Betsy, 16, b Bottisham
Ebenezer, 14, b Bottisham [in 1881 Ebenezer was living with his family on the Histon Road at the Ainger Nursery]
Mary A, 12, b Cambridge
William Norden, 65, blacksmith, b Cambs
Betsy, 60, b Cambridge
Charles, 27, b Cambridge
Charles John Norden: Private 3097, 1st Battalion, Cambridgeshire Regiment. Died of wounds 23rd September 1916. Enlisted Cambridge. Buried in DOULLENS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION No. 1, Somme, France. Plot IV. Row F. Grave 12. See also Cambridge Guildhall. (St Paul’s Roll of Honour)