Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • St John's Street
  • Back Forward
A narrow, light-colored shop on a street corner sits between two taller buildings, featuring a facade with carved patterns.

11 St Johns Street, Cambridge

11 St John’s Street, The Merry Boys

History of 11 St John's Street

A black and white drawing of St John's Lane, showing a courtyard with a wooden cart, barrels, and houses with tiled roofs.

St John’s Lane in 1895 showing Merry Boys Inn in St John’s Street

The Merry Boys was situated at 11 St John Street. This pub was present by 1830, at which time it was called the Three Merry Boys.  By the mid-1850s it was tied to the long-gone Thompson’s Lane Brewery of Cambridge.  It survived until at least 1895.

1861

James F Marshall, 31, wine and spirit merchant, b Trumpington

1913

Watkin Bird, fruiterer and florist

 

 

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Public House

Projects

  • St John's Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St John's Street

3 The Lanes, Houghton

The Red House, 12a, 12b, 13 Post Street, Godmanchester

Oxcroft Farm (Manor), West Wratting

13 St John’s Street

1 – 7 St John’s Street

St John’s College (St John’s Hospital), Cambridge

15 St John’s Street

10 St John’s Street, Bake House

9 St John’s Street

17, St John’s Street, Cambridge

Richardson Candles

8 St John’s Street

14 St John’s Street