Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

1 Scroope Terrace, Trumpington Street

History of 1 Scroope Terrace

Scroope Terrace

Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: the N part of the site was let by Gonville and Caius College on building leases for forty years in 1839 and house 1 to 7, forming a symmetrical block, were then built. Nos 8 to 12 were added by the College, in uniform style, in 1864 at a cost of £8,704. … Inside Nos 1 to 3 have been remodelled for the University School of Architecture; Nos 9 to 12 have been more or less altered to form the Royal Hotel.

…………

1881:

John Willis Clark

John Willis Clark, 47, supervisor of university museum of zoology, b Cambridge

Frances M Clark, 35, b Russia

Edward Mellish Clark, 6, b Cambridge

William Henry Clark, 5, b Cambridge

Elizabeth Watkin, 47, lady’s maid, b Bristol

Harriet Cook, 34, cook, b Cambs

Louisa Swan, 28, parlour maid, b Cambridge

Eliza Cowell, 20, housemaid, b Hunts

………….

1911:

Sir James Dewar [absent]

Eliza Armitage, 56, cook, b Cambridge

Elizabeth Long, housemaid, 19, b Ely

Dewar was a distinguished chemist. He is remembered for the invention of the vacuum flask.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.