Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
30 Trumpington Street

30 Trumpington Street, Fitzwilliam House / Hall

History of Fitzwilliam House, 30 Trumpington Street

Wikipedia: In 1869, Cambridge University altered its statutes to allow men who were not members of a college to become members of the University under the supervision of a censor, whose office was in Trumpington Street, opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum. This provided students who could not afford to belong to a college with a base from which to study at the University, allowing them to be admitted to degrees, sit examinations and compete for scholarships. The name “Fitzwilliam” was chosen by the students at a meeting of the Non-Collegiate Amalgamation Club in the Spring of 1887 and, as a result, the University decreed that the house in Trumpington Street could be known as Fitzwilliam Hall. This became the headquarters of the Non-Collegiate Students Board and provided student facilities and limited accommodation. It was renamed Fitzwilliam House in 1922.

…………

1913:

30 Trumpington Street

G Peck and son, pharmaceutical chemists

Ernest Saville Peck 

[Ernest Saville Peck became an authority on chemical weapons during WWI]

………….

1913: Fitzwilliam Hall

William Fiddian Reddaway MA, censor of Non-Collegiate Students

William Fiddian Reddaway

Rev. A O N Lee, resident chaplain

B Rolfe, steward

H E Martin, librarian

………………………

After she left school Pamela Knights worked for the Maintenance Fund which was housed in Fitzwilliam House, next to the old Addenbrookes Hospital:


1962: G Peck and Son Ltd (A Border Mgr)

Fitzwilliam House

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.