Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Master's Lodge, Peterhouse

Master’s Lodge, Peterhouse, Trumpington Street

History of the Master's Lodge, Peterhouse

The Master’s Lodge, Peterhouse

Wikipedia: The Master’s Lodge is situated across Trumpington Street from the College, and was bequeathed to the College in 1727 by a fellow, Dr Charles Beaumont, son of the 30th Master of the college, Joseph Beaumont. It is built in red brick in the Queen Anne style.

Under the eaves of the house, built in 1701, are fire rings, used to pull the roof off in the case of a fire. (A B Gray, Cambridge revisited 1921)

1788:

Francis Barnes became Master of Peterhouse as well as Vice-Chancellor of the University. In 1813 he was elected Knightsbridge Professor of Moral Philosophy. Barnes had the distinction of being the last wearer of the eighteenth century wig in Cambridge University. He died in 1838 at the age of 95 and is buried in the chapel at Peterhouse.

Dr Barnes, 1837, Master of Peterhouse

1913:

Sir Adolphus William Ward

Sir Adolphus William Ward

1962:

Herbert Butterfield c. 1955

Professor Herbert Butterfield

2018:

Bridget Kendal MBE

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.