Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trumpington Street
  • Back Forward
A colorized postcard shows a large red-brick Victorian hospital building with arched balconies behind a low metal fence.

Old Addenbrookes Cambridge circa 1900

Old Addenbrookes Hospital / Judge Business School, Cambridge

History of Old Addenbrookes Hospital

Vintage postcard showing a three-story stone hospital building with arched window arcades, fronted by a lawn and iron fence.

    Old Addenbrookes

Part of the original building of 1740 survived in incorporated in the 19th century additions. John Addenbrookes (died 1719) left £4,500 to found a hospital; land was bought in 1728 and building began in 1740. (See 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge)

Sepia-toned view of a large multi-story stone building with arched windows and a central clock tower, facing a grassy lawn.

Old Addenbrookes, date unknown (MoC315/85)

1758 part of hospital already built

1763 further building

1764 further land purchased

1766 original hospital completed

1766 two cottages next to hospital purchased and converted into kitchen

1768 reconstruction of ‘underground floor’ to provide kitchen, coal house, pantry, bathroom and lumber room

1768 cottage with old kitchen demolished


1772-78 burials

https://knowledge.oxfordarchaeology.com/library/4273/


The case for public hospitals like Addenbrooke’s – 1776

1806 dissecting room and mortuary built

1817 John Haviland appointed physician until 1839. In 1838 he contracted typhus which led to paralysis.

1823-4 North and south wings and colonnade erected

1833-4 Fever wards (Goode and Bowtell) erected on two floors

1837 number of beds increased by 22 to 100

1839 George Paget elected as physician following resignation of John Haviland.

1843 (Romilly’s Cambridge Diary March, editor’s note) People who subscribed two guineas or more annually became governors of the hospital and could recommend patients according to the amount of their subscription.

1844 additional land purchased. Two new wards erected on Tennis Court Road but later demolished and replaced by Nurses’ Home.


1851 census

INMATES OF ADDENBROOKES HOSPITAL

Jane Bishop, 46, matron, b Warwicks

Henry Mitchell, 32, house surgeon, b Cambridge

et al including patients


1864-6 extensive rebuilding of hospital

A three-story building with scaffolding stands behind a row of houses on a street, viewed from an elevated position.

Addenbrooke’s Hospital, 1865, photo by A Nicholls taken from roof of Fitzwilliam Museum (Cambridgeshire Collection)

1877-8 new three floor building erected on site of mortuary


A long hospital ward with rows of occupied beds, large potted plants on a central table, and two staff in uniforms standing.

Surgical ward, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, 1888

A three-story building with repeating arched galleries and a central projecting bay sits behind a striped lawn and iron fence.

Addenbrookes Hospital c.1890 (photo J Valentine)

Four nurses in uniforms and caps stand beside a row of young children lying in individual white metal hospital cots.

Addenbrooke’s Hospital children’s ward July 1894.(Cambridgeshire Collection)

Mary Cureton hospital matron (second left)


1896-7 nurses home erected

1898 new operating theatre

1899 steam laundry erected on south side


1901

A large group of men in Edwardian cricket attire and suits pose for a formal group portrait with a printed caption below.

Cricket match, 1901, in aid of Adenbrooke’s Hospital


1902 Victoria and Albert colonnade fitted up for open air treatment of surgical tuberculosis

CDN 1.10.1902: A fire broke out in the women’s ward at the top of the left wing of Addenbrooke’s Hospital. In a very short time the flames secured a firm hold and the unfortunate patients had to be removed.

1906 Another fire accurred at the hospital.


1912-13 John Bonnett Laboratory erected

Press 24.5.1912 : Mrs H. Bonnett of Lensfield Road has offered to build, equip and endow a Clinical Laboratory for the benefit of Addenbrooke’s Hospital as a memorial to her son, the late Mr John Bonnett, who was for many years secretary and legal adviser to the Hospital and one of its most earnest advocates and supporters. It is not often that such a generous, one might almost say princely, benefaction is offered for such an invaluable object. It is a most generous gift at a time when the Governors are about to decide on plans for a new Children’s Ward and out-patients’ department.

Two nurses in white uniforms stand in a hospital ward with several iron beds, one containing a child and another holding a baby.

Ward, Old Addenbrookes c.1912 (Mike Petty Fenland History)


1914 Outpatient Department erected. Tipperary Ward (25 beds) built.

The brick facade of Addenbrooke's Hospital featuring arched windows, a central bay, a clock, and a metal fence in the foreground.

Old Addenbrookes 1922 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

1923-4 new nurses home

1926-7 two new operating theatres

General information about the Old Addenbrooke’s site can be found on Wikipedia.

Five men in suits and hats stand behind a market stall piled with boxes and gifts, with a sign reading Receiving Office.

1929, Stallholders make donation to hospital

1932 The Duke and Duchess of York opened new wards including an X-Ray clinic.

A 1945 Addenbrooke’s Hospital document with printed text, manuscript entries, and a circular revenue stamp on blue paper.

Addenbrooke’s Hospital receipt, 1945

Typewritten document on Addenbrooke's Hospital letterhead dated 30th November 1945, showing a formal receipt of subscription.

Addenbrooke’s Hospital Receipt, 1945


Once the NHS was created, Pamela Knights moved from her work for the Maintenance Fund and started work as a receptionist in the orthopaedic unit at Addenbrooke’s:

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Knights18-Addenbrookes.mp3

Her work at the hospital brought her into contact with wounded and convalescing servicemen:

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Knights21-Treating-survivors.mp3
Grand brick facade of Addenbrooke's Hospital with a central clock tower, viewed through large stone gate pillars and iron fence.

Old Addenbrookes, circa 1960 (MoC10.55.70)

Two multi-story brick hospital buildings with arched windows stand behind a gated entrance with two bicycles leaning against it.

Addenbrooke’s (MoC9.55.70)

1984 Hospital closed

In the 1990s the architect John Outram transformed the former hospital into the Cambridge Institute of Management Studies, adding three new buildings behind the 1860s facade.

Pevsner described the new treatment of the old building as ‘pugnacious’ and ‘idiosyncratic postmodern-classical.’

 

Tags

  • archaeology
  • hospital
  • Listed building
  • oral history
  • work

Projects

  • Trumpington Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trumpington Street

Poplars, High Street, Colne

50 & 52 High Street, Hinxton

Abbots Ripton Hall, Hall Lane, Abbots Ripton

Trumpington Gate

37 (38) Trumpington Street, The Little Rose Public House

Tunwell’s Court, Trumpington Street

2 St Peter’s Terrace, Trumpington Street, Cambridge

Gilbertine Priory of St Edmund, Trumpington Street

The Progress of Queen Victoria to Cambridge

22 Trumpington Street

68 – 69 Trumpington Street

St Mary the Less (Little St Mary’s), Cambridge

15 Trumpington Street