Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trumpington Street
  • Back Forward

Priory of the Sack Friars, Trumpington Street

History of the Priory of the Sack Friars

The Friars of the Sack seems to have been protégés of Barnwell Priory who were given a stone house with their own chapel in Trumpington Street. They were only there for about 50 years.

The friary was first established in England in 1257 and the Cambridge house was founded in 1258 in the parish of St Mary by the Market. The Brethren moved to the Trumpington Street site to occupy a stone house vacated by John le Rus who had become mayor. By 1290 Pope Nicholas IV gave consent for the sale of the property to the Gilbertine Canons and in 1307 the buildings and land passed to Peterhouse.

Land given to Friars of the Sack as reconstructed by C Hall

A detailed history of the Friars of the Sack in Cambridge can be found on BHO.

Tags

  • Religious House

Projects

  • Trumpington Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trumpington Street

Somersham Park Farmhouse (Palace and Deer park)

Hermitage Wood, Alconbury Weston

Ramsey Abbey and Gatehouse

3 St Peter’s Terrace, Trumpington Street

56 Trumpington Street (Corpus Building)

11 Trumpington Street

35 Trumpington Street

20 Trumpington Street, Kingsley House

15 Trumpington Street

34 Trumpington Street

64 Trumpington Street, The (Black) Bull Inn, George Inn, Cambridge

11 Scroope Terrace, Trumpington Street

Master’s Lodge, Peterhouse, Trumpington Street