Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trumpington Street
  • Back Forward
Digital drawing of a coat of arms featuring a dragon crest above a shield with a red cross, book, roses, and motto scroll.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org

The Leys School, Trumpington Street, Cambridge

History of the Leys School

Pevsner’s Cambridgeshire notes that the school was:

‘founded by Methodists in 1875, The Leys is Cambridgeshire’s chief expression of public school architectural tradition. But at the heart is a villa built probably in 1815 (now Headmaster’s House).’

Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: the Leys School, headmaster’s house …. the land was enclosed in 1811; the house is traditionally dated 1815, which is possibly on stylistic grounds, and shown on R G Baker’s map of 1830. …. inside many original fittings survive….

Listed buildings at the school are: The King George V Gateway & Library (1913-14), the Chapel (1905-6) and the Headmaster’s House (c1820).

Designated Building of Local Interest: North Block

There is a Wikipedia entry on the school.

A large, multi-story brick building with pointed gables and Gothic windows set behind a grass lawn and mature trees.

The Leys

Two young men in suits walk along a tree-lined path while a third person stands near a wooden fence in the background.

In the grounds of Leys College

1891

William Fiddian Moulton, 56, headmaster, b Staffs

Hannah, 51, b Beds

Elizabeth Green Moulton, sister, 48, b Salop

Mary Clunie, visitor, widow, 87, b Kent

George Edward Green, 28, assistant master modern, b Hunts

William Fiddian Moulton, 25, assistant master classical and modern, b Surrey

Alfred Hutchinson, 24, assistant master science, b Middlesborough

George Osborn, 27, assistant master mathematics and science, b Manchester

Charles Henry French, 29, assistant master mathematics, b Somerset

Joseph Clark Isard, 34, assistant master classical and modern, b Kent

Ernest Edward Kellett, 26, assistant master classical and modern, b Kent


1907

A young boy in a suit stands on a platform holding a document toward a group of men in formal Victorian and Edwardian attire.

Presentation by Leys pupil to the Prime Minister, Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, 1907

The Prime Minister came to the Leys School in 1907 to lay the foundation stone for the new gymnasium.


1913-4 King George V Gateway

Symmetrical red-brick building with a central stone gateway, carved stonework above the arch, and a small rooftop lantern.

George V Gateway Leys School

A red-brick building with a central cupola and stone-detailed entrance stands behind tall brick gate pillars and a fence.

Main Entrance with George V gateway

A large room with long wooden tables and benches, a central fireplace, bookshelves, and decorative plaques on the back wall.

House Common Room

Rows of wooden chairs with tall thin backs fill a vaulted room featuring plaster busts, statues, and artwork on the walls.

Art School Interior

Large gymnasium interior with exposed timber roof trusses, a mezzanine balcony, hanging ropes, and various gymnastic equipment.

Gymnasium

Black and white photograph of a school dormitory with two parallel rows of iron-framed beds partitioned by tall wood panels.

Senior Dormitory

Interior of a room with rows of rifles stored in wooden racks, a ladder against the back wall, and a workbench on the right.

Armoury

Black and white view of a room featuring tall glass display cases filled with taxidermy birds and wooden cabinets of fossils.

Museum

A wood-paneled room with patterned wicker chairs, a desk with books, various framed pictures, and a coat hanging on the wall.

Prefect’s Study

High-ceilinged school laboratory with rows of wooden benches, dark stools, and numerous wall-mounted shelves filled with bottles.

Chemical Laboratory

A physics laboratory with wooden workbenches, stools, scientific instruments, and large windows overlooking school buildings.

Physical Laboratory

Laboratory interior with long wooden tables, glass beakers, scientific apparatus, and wall shelves filled with many bottles.

Biological Laboratory


24 April 1914
King’s Visit. — Six thousand Cambridge schoolchildren, with flags gaily flying, will next Thursday line the Cambridge streets and with hearty voices join their elders in bidding welcome to their King. Although the King’s visit is to be regarded as one specially made to the Leys School, the townspeople are naturally taking a keen interest in the event. His Majesty will motor from Newmarket and is due to arrive at the Leys at 11 a.m. It is probable he will reach the outskirts a few minutes before that hour and will proceed to the school via Newmarket Road, East Road, Lensfield Road and Trumpington Road. Upon arrival at the school, the King will be received by a guard of honour consisting of members of the school’s Junior Officers’ Training Corps and met by Dr. Barber, the headmaster and members of the governing body He will then be conducted to the chapel to view the memorial erected to the memory of the Old Leysians who fell in the South African War. Following this he will proceed to the large hall and receive an address of welcome. Then His Majesty will inspect the gymnasium, swimming baths, science buildings, etc. In accordance with a request made by the Mayor of Cambridge (Mr. J. A. Sturton), the royal car will be slowed down when passing the junction of New-market Road and East Road. This is perhaps, the most convenient spot for the schoolchildren to as-semble and they will line up on either side.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 1914 04 24 CIPof.

1 May 1914
Appeals for people to decorate their houses along the King’s route to the Leys School were effective. Along Newmarket Road and East Road houses vary in size but an elaborate display of flags and bunting had been arranged. The favourite plan was a Union Jack hung from the bedroom window or bunting arranged along the window ledges, busin3esses were tastefully embellished while scores of streamers were hung across the road with a tremendous banner inscribed ‘Cambridge Working Men’s Club’. Many of the side streets made good displays
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 14 05 01e.


1941

Jack Overhill records in his diary for 4 May 1941:

I saw sheep and baby lambs on the playing field of the Leys School, now an annexe of Addenbrooke’s Hospital, this morning …


1930s – 1950s:

The HQ of the 60th Cambridge (Leys School) Scout troop which met in a Leys school hut.


A printed document for a 1959 Leys School Chapel service with handwritten names at the top and base of the page.

1959: order of service kept by Constance Pyle, probably because she made wedding dress


1952

Letter to Constance Pyle from Jill Gillard:

A handwritten letter on cream paper dated 12th June 1952 from The Leys School, Cambridge, signed by Jill Gillard.

Letter to Constance Pyle from Jill Gillard 1952

Date unknown: letter to Constance Pyle

A handwritten letter dated May 4th, with a Leys School, Cambridge address header, written in dark ink on cream-coloured paper.

Letter to Constance Pyle from Gillard

Handwritten note in dark ink on cream paper with a visible central crease and several small brown stains on the lower right.

Letter to Constance Pyle from Gillard


A 1954 printed wedding invitation for Jill Christine and John Alister Kerr McClure, with Miss Pyle written in ink.

Leys school, wedding invitation 1954, to Constance Pyle


Wedding guests gather outside an ornate stone building as a woman in a light dress enters a dark car parked in the driveway.

Miss R Windsor Lewis’s wedding, Leys School chapel 1959 (dress by C Pyle)

A group of people in formal attire stand near the ornate stone arched entrance of a large brick building at The Leys School.

Miss Windsor Lewis wedding 1959

 

Sources

  • Book
  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Boy Scouts
  • Building of Local Interest
  • hospital
  • Listed building
  • pyle
  • school
  • Scouting
  • world war two

Projects

  • Trumpington Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trumpington Street

Nuns Cottage, 25 West End, Whittlesford

Ferrar House, 70 High Street, Huntingdon

Coach House, Lattenbury Hill, Papworth St Agnes

32 Trumpington Street

23 Trumpington Street

15 Trumpington Street

Ernest Saville Peck overview

22 Trumpington Street

4 Scroope Terrace, Trumpington Street

The Progress of Queen Victoria to Cambridge

68 – 69 Trumpington Street

69 / 69a Trumpington Street

36 Trumpington Street