Search by topic
Search by text
Roger Ascham School Buildings
History of the Roger Ascham School
The first open-air school was opened in Charlottenberg near Berlin in 1904 and several open-air schools were established in England before the First World War. By 1931 there were over 80 and by 1949 127 had been built. The schools were intended as recovery schools for children whose development had been impaired by illness, so that they could be eventually integrated into normal schools. They had considerable influence on the design of C20 schools.
Roger Ascham School was a day school and is one of the most intact open-air schools remaining. It was established in 1916 in wooden buildings in Vinery Road, Cambridge, but moved to Ascham Road in 1927. It comprises an admin building and hall, detached classrooms and a rest shed (qv).