Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Chesterton
  • /
  • Cam Road
  • Back Forward
A quiet street lined with mature trees, flanked by residential houses and vintage vehicles parked along the paved road.

Cam Road (later Elizabeth Way), south end looking north. Junction with Humberstone Road visible on left.

H C Banham, Cam Road, Cambridge

History of H C Banham

See Enid Porter’s article: Boat Building

A bridge crosses the River Cam, with a wooden boatyard building on the bank featuring signage for boat hire on the right.

View of H C Banham Boatyard from Fort St George Bridge 1929 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Watercolor painting of a riverfront boathouse with the sign BANHAM, featuring open boat bays and small boats on the water.

Banham (MoC84:65)

1913

H C Banham, boat and motor launch builder

Viscountess Bury River Boat

WWI:

Banham built motor boats for the Russian navy, seaplane floats for the British navy as well as seaplane floats for the Royal Flying Corps.

A business invoice from boat builder H.C. Banham dated November 13, 1928, addressed to A. Brown at the Pike and Eel pub.

Pike and Eel 1928


WWII:

Banham built whalers and high-speed motor boats for the Navy and prototype structures for radar for Pye Radio Ltd.


1964

Five men in suits and overcoats stand on a small, white-railed chain ferry on the River Cam before a large boatyard building.

Private chain ferry to Banham’s marina, 1964


1969

A street lined with mature trees and a row of Victorian bay-fronted brick houses with a parked car on the left side.

Cam Road, demolished 1969, from new bridge (MoC 16/160/69)

Terraced houses line a quiet Cambridge street in 1969, with tall, leafless trees and a single parked car along the roadside.

Cam Road, 1969 (MoC 56/69)

A quiet residential street lined with semi-detached houses, a tall leafless tree, and a red telephone box on the pavement.

Cam Road, 1969 (MoC 55/69)

Construction site with tall cranes, stacked timber, and a large cylindrical pipe next to a wooden pier on a river.

Site formerly occupied by Banham’s boatyard (MoC18/160/69)

A muddy construction site by a river with wooden jetties, a digger, a white van, and a row of terraced houses in the distance.

Site of new Banham’s boatyard (MoC46/69)

A 1959 line-drawn map showing the River Cam, Midsummer Common, and surrounding streets with locations marked for H C Banham.

H C Banham map 1957

HCBanham1957Brochure

Tags

  • world war one
  • world war two

Projects

  • Cam Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Cam Road

48 Gwydir Street

12, Thursley, Chaucer Road

20 Fendon Road, Cambridge

26 Cam Road, Kent House, Cam Terrace, Cambridge

Pye, Granta Works, Scientific Instruments, Chesterton

4 Cam Road, Fairview, Cambridge

6 Cam Road, Cambridge

20 Cam Road, Prospect House, Cambridge

2 Elizabeth Way (36 – 28 Cam Road)

14 Cam Road, Jacqua, Cambridge

2 Cam Road, Cambridge

24 Cam Road, Inglemere House, Cambridge

Cam Terrace, 20 – 26 Cam Road