34 Chesterton Hall Crescent
History of 34 Chesterton Hall Crescent
William George Pye, scientific instrument maker, 41, b London
Annie Eliza, 42, b London
David Walter, 13, b Cambridge
Marjorie Irene, 11, b Cambridge
Harold John, 9, b Cambridge
Gertrude Starling, 21, servant, b Cambs
1950 Obituary – Institute of Mechanical Engineers:
WILLIAM GEORGE PYE was the founder of the radio business which bears his name.
He was born in 1869 and served a five years’ apprenticeship with the Cambridge Instrument Co, on the conclusion of which in 1888 he joined the firm of Messrs. Elliott Brothers, Goolden and Company (now Evershed and Vignoles, Ltd., Acton, London, W.), for whom he was engaged as journeyman and leading hand for two years. He then became associated with the late Sir Joseph Thomson, O.M., F.R.S., in the capacity of chief mechanical assistant at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge, his activities in this direction being closely concerned with the production of instruments and apparatus for educational and research purposes.
This association lasted for eleven years and during this period Mr. Pye established (in 1899) a business under the style of Messrs. W. G. Pye and Company, Granta Works, Cambridge, to manufacture scientific instruments. It is, perhaps, worthy of note that he, personally, not only carried out his own machine repairs and made special tools, but on occasion would, himself, construct machinery essential for the purposes of his business. Subsequently the firm also made wireless sets, and from this side of the business was developed Pye, Ltd. He retired from work at Cambridge in 1930 and went to live at Bexhill-on-Sea. His temperament would not, however, permit him to rest, and for some years, as chairman and managing director, he had taken a leading part in the activities of a firm at Battle, nearby, now known as Senlac Metal Casements, Ltd. Severe illness compelled him to finally retire in the early part of 1949, his death occurring at his home in Bexhill on the 13th October 1949. Mr. Pye had been a Member of the Institution since 1932.
William George Pye