133 Chesterton Road ©MoC149/72
133 Chesterton Road, Ivanhoe, Cambridge
History of 133 Chesterton Road
Photo (above):
On the left are the Chesterton Urban District Council offices, which became a police station from 1910. The group of children are most likely from Milton Road Schools, which opened in 1908.
Looking east along Chesterton Road. On the right, the building with the stripes is Mitcham’s Department Stores after which the whole intersection became named, Mitcham’s Corner. The Police Sub-Station was next to 133 Chesterton Road. The houses remains but the police station is completely gone.
1913
John Thomas Higgins, butler Jesus College

Mitcham’s Corner 1920s. The police box is in front of the building which had housed the Chesterton Urban District Council
Sub-police station demolished — 20 January 1930
Demolition work has begun on the Chesterton Sub-Police station, Mitcham’s Corner. At one time the office of the old Chesterton Urban District Council it became a police station on the amalgamation of Chesterton with the borough. Corner improvements have made its removal desirable. Workmen are hurrying in and out and already it is windowless and completely barren internally. It will be replaced by a police-box. The familiar fire standards are also doomed to disappear; five wall boxes have been erected which will be in operation as soon as the telephones are installed. The change has been made because the public dislikes the breaking of glass in the older standards and prefer to use a telephone case of emergency 30 01 20
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Road Area Scrapbook, reference 30 01 20
Projects
Contribute
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please
let us know using the Contact page or by
emailing capturingcambridge@
Licence
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated by
.