Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Spring Brewery c. 1900

14 Chesterton Road, Spring Brewery, Tivoli Cinema

History of 14 Chesterton Road

The brewery was founded about 1855 by James Dyson.

1880: sold to C Preston.

The owner of the Spring brewery which predated the Tivoli cinema was James McCallan Preston. He sold it to the brewer E Lacon in 1898 for £38,000.

Most of the brewery buildings were demolished and the Tivoli Cinema built. The lower end of the cinema was reputed to flood when the river level was high.


Cambridge undergraduates have punch-up with anti-war activists outside The Tivoli Cinema – November 1933


14 and 14a Chesterton Road


The New Spring public house

(14a) Arthur Conder, hairdresser

14 and 14a Chesterton Road


There was a major fire at the premises in 2015.

Information about the restoration can be found here:


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing