Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

208 (146) High Street Chesterton

History of 208 High Street Chesterton

1913:

William Cornell, maltster

………….

Lion Hotel, Friday 11th July at 6pm 1924 sale of 18 modern dwellings by Trinity Hall including:……………

Latham Cottages (5 cottages) and 142, 144 and 146 High Street.  Built in 1895 and let at weekly rents of 4s each to Messrs W Warren, E Amon and Mrs Maskill; total rent annual 3321 4s 0d.  Lot inc passage 4ft in width leading to the gardens at the back.
Each containing living room front with boarded floor and tiled stove; kitchen back with boarded floor, portable range, cupboard in recess and store cupboard under stairs; scullery in addition at its back with tiled floor, open fireplace, copper and sink; coal house and WC adjoining in lean to; 3 bedrooms, gas and water supplies are laid on.

According to the 1901 census at 146 (now 208) was a Owen Gage, Gardener with his wife, Kate, and 5 children.  In the 1911 Census was William Cornell and his wife Mary.  He was a Malster Labourer.  As detailed in the electoral register he was there in 1915 but left some time between then and the sale in 1924.  Ms Maskill was the tenant at the time of sale and had been there since at least 1920.  She and her husband, Soloman were there when the High Street was renumbered around 1935 and 146 became 208.  The history between the 1930s and late 60s is yet unknown.  In the 60s 208 was owned by James and Gwendoline Spaxam.  John and Susan Lonsdale Popplestone bought the property in 1973.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.