Springfield, Cherry Hinton Road
History of Springfield Cherry Hinton Road
James Edward Preston, 54, cattle dealer, born Cambridge
Sarah, 60, born Leics
Ellen, 28, born Cherryhinton
Marian, 20, born Cherryhinton
Ellen Balls, servant, 15, born Linc.
Charles James Mapey, 42, commercial traveller condiment manufacture, born Hants.
Lily T Case Mapey, 40, born London
Leslie Edward Smith, 13, nephew, born London
Florence E Billington, 27, companion, ladies companion, born Beds
Sophia M Loder, servant, 20, born Egypt
Charles James Mapey and Lilian Kate Case married in 1895 in Lambeth, London.
Tom Staneland Ablewhite
Springfields is a large house set back from the road backing onto the stream that runs from the spring nearby. It is listed and is believed to date from the early 19th century.
Ventress Farm Site 1927
The 1911 census records Charles J Mapey commercial traveller living at the address. But by 1913 Charles Mapey had moved to Ferndale near the junction with Mowbray Road and had bought the Cherry Hinton Granaries at The Paddocks. Springfield was occupied by W P Kirton, the Conservative Agent for the Eastern Div. of Cambs according to the Cambridge Directory.
Occupants prior to 1900 are hard to trace since the house is not easily identifiable in the censuses. It may be that it was the residence of Thomas Emson engineer and agricultural machinist who was resident in this part of the road in 1881.
Sources: UK Census