Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
copyright RGL 2016

Territorial Army Centre, Cherry Hinton Road

History of TA centre

The TA centre was opened in Jun 1987 by Lt Gen Sir Cameron Moffat, Surgeon General. It was built on the site of the former British Road Services depot. The buildings include four large lecture theatres and buildings for indoor training including a firing range. In 1988 (CWN) the centre housed a Field Ambulance Unit of the RAMC, soldiers of the Signal Squadron and the Cambridgeshire ACF.

British Road Services acquired the site for their purposes under the 1947-48 Road Traffic Act. In 1964 the Cambridge News reported that from here vehicles are sent out on general haulage business throughout the country.

During the war the site was a Ministry of Transport centre and was used as a reporting depot for vehicles which might be needed in the event of an invasion.

Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection)


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing