Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward

Ely Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace

Bishop’s Palace, Ely

History of Bishop's Palace

Listed Building

Bishop’s Palace, which stands on the south side of Palace Green to the west of the Cathedral, was originally built in the C15 by Bishop Alcock (1486-1501). The only surviving part of Alcock’s palace is the east tower and the lower part of the west tower. The upper part of the west tower and the west wing, facing Palace Green was built by Bishop Goodrich in 1550 and the recessed centre part and the block facing south to the garden was built by Bishop Laney (1667-75) who demolished the major part of Bishop Goodrich’s palace.

Long Gallery, Ely Palace

Ely Palace Long Gallery, postcard to 2 Hobart Road

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

17 & 19 High Street, Burwell

Terra Cotta Cottage, Moat Lane, Abbots Ripton

150 High Street, Huntingdon

15 & 17 Castlehythe, Station Road, Ely

16 Hills Lane, Ely

Crown and Anchor, 68 St Mary’s Street, Ely

Prior’s House, Ely

27 & 29 Newnham Street, Ely

Snell’s Nursery, Jubilee Gardens, Broad Street, Ely

48 Prickwillow Road, Roswell, Ely

3, Castle Hythe, Station Road, Ely

Drake Diaries of Sutton in the Isle: Fenland Family, Farming and Village Life

22 & 22a St Mary’s Street, Ely