Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Fordham
  • Back Forward

Fordham Abbey and Priory

History of Fordham Priory

Listed Building

Small country house mid C18 rebuilt from an earlier mansion c.1710 on the site of the Gilbertine priory.

Garden walls, C18.

Dovecote, C18, local brick with plain tiled pyramidal roof. (Historic England)

A Gilbertine priory dedicated to St Peter and Mary Magdalene was founded by the Canons of the order of Sempringham immediately before 1227.

In 1279 the Prior held a house, a watermill and 14 acres of arable land.

When the order was dissolved in 1538 there were only the Prior and two other canons in residence. None of the Priory buildings have survived. Fordham Abbey on the site dates from c.1710.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Fordham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Fordham

2 Haslingfield Road, Birds Farmhouse, Barton

Docwra’s Manor, Shepreth

Hallcroft, Leverington

St Peter and St Mary Magdalene, Fordham

Fordham Windmill, Barrow Field, Fordham

Fordham House, Newmarket Road

The Crown, Church Street, Fordham

Washington House, 37 Church Street, Fordham

22 Mill Lane, Fordham

3 Fordham Road, Isleham

9 River Lane, Fordham

Congregational Chapel, Mill Lane, Fordham

Fordham Junction collision 1889