Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Isleham
  • Back Forward
A group of seven people stand before a brick post office building in 1917, featuring a Lipton’s Tea sign on the facade.

Post office, Isleham, 1917

Post Office, Mill Street Isleham

History of the Post Office

The people in the featured photo are Mrs Billy Human, Lettie Human (centre), Alice Cheeseman and postman Westley at the door.

Early 20th cent postmaster was James Scott. Telegrams were brought by bicycle by man called Caten. There were three postmen: Westley, Percy Reed and Billy King. Westley went round village, Billy King went to Fen Bank. As he approached a house he would blow a bugle.

Source: Memories of Isleham Village by Arthur Houghton


1901

James Scott, 41, sub postermaster and bootmaker, b Isleham

Ellen, 40, b West Row Suffolk

Projects

  • Isleham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Isleham

Iron Age Settlement, Fordham Road, Isleham

Swann (Swan) Inn, Waterside, Isleham

White Horse Inn, 13 Church Street, Isleham

Crown Inn, 10 Mill Street, Isleham

School, Isleham Fen

Isleham Hall, West Street

Pound Lane Free Church, Isleham

Manor House, 2 Pound Lane, Isleham

Windy Hall, Isleham

Bell Inn, Co-op, 2 West Street, Isleham