Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Downham
  • Back Forward
An old brick building with a tiled roof and a ladder reaching an upper doorway, fenced by metal railings in a rural setting.

Bishop’s Palace, Little Downham, 1914 (photo J H Bullock) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Bishop’s Palace, (Tower Farm), Little Downham

History of the Bishop's Palace

Listed Building:

Late C15 walls of Bishop of Ely’s Palace to west and north included in fabric of C19 building. Gault brick, C15 red brick; plain tile roof with end stacks and ridge stack to right of centre.

The picture shows the refectory of the Bishop’s Palace, Little Downham, used as a barn in 1914. The palace was constructed by Bishop Alcock towards the end of the C15th. In 1906 H Rider Haggard published an account of his visit to the area.

By 1250 the estate of Downham covered almost 11 square miles, although 10.5 of these were made up of a Deer park of 250 acres and two large fen lakes.

The Palace was damaged in the Civil War and had been largely demolished by the 18th century. By 1746 a farmhouse had been created.

Line drawing of an ornate stone doorway with a pointed arch, decorative carvings, two shields, and a dark, recessed entrance.

Downham, doorway at Tower Farm (Religious Houses of Cambs, 1988)

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Little Downham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Downham

Romano-British Settlement, Chittering

30 Market Square, St Neots

Norman Castle, Castle Camps

47 Main Street, Little Downham

23 Main Street, Little Downham

Village Centre (Feoffees’ School), Main Street, Little Downham

40 Main Street, Little Downham

19 Main Street, Little Downham

92 Main Street, Little Downham

War Memorial, Little Downham

54 Main Street, Little Downham

Tower Mill, Ely Road, Little Downham

The Old Rectory, Little Downham