Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Prickwillow
  • Back Forward
A large group of people in 1920s attire processes along a street, including a brass band with horns in front of brick buildings.

Prickwillow steam engine pumping house, 1923 (Cambs Collection)

Prickwillow Engine Museum

History of the Engine Museum

Listed Building

Drainage engine house and Mirrlees engine with pump; converted to museum of industrial archaeology. Single remaining bay of 1842 house; rebuilt in 1880; engine and pump opened in 1923.

A steam pumping engine was installed at the head of the drain in 1831. A second station, now the museum was built beside it in 1880 and the steam pump replaced by a diesel in 1924.

A man stands beside a massive industrial flywheel and pumping machinery inside a bright room with a tall, multi-paned window.

Prickwillow pump engine 1922

A man stands next to a large industrial engine in a workshop, holding a small object while inspecting the machinery.

Prickwillow pump engine 1922

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Prickwillow

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Prickwillow

The Manor House, Doddington Road, Wimblington

The Chequers, 297 High Street, (War memorial), Cottenham

16 High Street, Queen’s House, Linton

Prickwillow Data

Prickwillow Rectory / Vicarage

How it was – Memories of life in the Fen Country

Burnt Fen, Prickwillow

St Peter, Prickwillow

The Quay, Prickwillow Engine Museum

“Ten Miles from Ely”: Stories, Lives and Landscapes of the Fen Country

audio

Dibber of Prickwillow