Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Eaton Socon
  • Back Forward
Sepia-toned view of an ancient stone church with a square tower and battlemented roof, set behind a graveyard of headstones.

Eaton Socon church (J Phillips undated)

St Mary, Eaton Socon

History of St Mary

Listed Building

C14-15. The church was restored in the C19, and a N organ chamber was added in 1886-9 to designs by J A Cory and C J Ferguson. A parish rooms complex was added on the N in the late C20. (Historic England)

Two policemen stand in the debris-filled interior of a burned stone church, surrounded by ruined arches and blackened walls.

St Mary Eaton Socon following fire 1930 (Hunts Archives)

In February 1930 the church was almost completely destroyed by fire but had been rebuilt two years later.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Eaton Socon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Eaton Socon

2 Brunswick Walk

Rectory Farm, New Road, Guilden Morden

Elm Cottage, 3 Brockley Road, Elsworth

Quaintways, 9 St Neots Road, Eaton Socon

Crosshall, Eaton Socon

2 – 8 Ackerman Street, Eaton Socon

1 Eaton Ford Green, Eaton Socon

Avenue Farm, 138 St Neots Road, Eaton Socon

The Eaton Oak (Squire’s Farmhouse), Great North Road, Eaton Ford

108 Great North Road, Eaton Socon

Ford House, 140 St Neots Road, Eaton Socon

The Old Sun Inn, Great North Road, Eaton Socon

Trotwood Cottage, 162 Great North Road, Eaton Socon