Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Holywell cum Needingworth
  • Back Forward
The derelict, wooden upper structure of a post mill stands on angled timber supports, featuring a ladder and one main sail.

Holywell post mill circa 1929 (Hunts Record Office)

Holywell post mill

History of Holywell post mill

A bearded, balding man in a suit sits in a carved chair holding a walking stick in this grainy, halftone-printed portrait.

Erastus Watts, Holywell

Erastus Watts was the last Huntingdonshire wind miller.

According to The Holywell Story by Joe Newell thenfirst recorded windmill in the village was in 1279. The mill was last used by Mr Senescall of Needingworth to grind cattle feed.

By the 1930s the mill had fallen into disuse and the owner, Fred Harvey, was going to dismantle it. However, he sold it to Tom Paisley of Holywell who intended to dismantle it as well.

In the 1940s one night the mill collapsed next to the cottage of the Papworth family. The grinding stones landed against the wall of the bedroom where Joan Papworth, teenage daughter of the family, was sleeping. For several minutes after realising what had happened she could neither speak nor move. Eventually the cottage was demolished as well.

The Watts family were millers in Huntingdonshire for generations. Thomas Watts inherited from his father the brick tower mill at Hemingford Grey built in 1820. He then built a mill for each of his four sons.

Erastus Watts (1853-1933) inherited the Hemingford Mill from his father.

Tags

  • windmill

Projects

  • Holywell cum Needingworth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Holywell cum Needingworth

Windmill, Buckden

26 Hurst Park Avenue, Mill Cottage and Mill House

The Windmill, Mill Lane, Little Wilbraham

Hill Farmhouse, The Front, Holywell

Moynes Hall, Holywell

House of Dream, Back Lane, Holywell

Court Farmhouse, Silver Lane, Needingworth

49 High Street, Needingworth

Priory Cottage, The Priory, 26 Church Street

The Queens Head, 30 High Street, Needingworth

Letter box, The Front, Holywell

The Front, Holywell

Langham House, 62 High Street, Needingworth