Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Holywell cum Needingworth
  • Back Forward
A white metal gate sits before a green garden with a large tree, beyond which white houses are visible in the background.

Moynes Hall Holywell (RGL2025)

Moynes Hall, Holywell

History of Moynes Hall

Listed Building

C17 farmhouse. T-plan of two-storeys with later extension to south wing. Main range. Rendered timber-frame and colour-washed brick. Old plain tile roofs with pantile roof to C19 dairy and wash-house.

The Holywell Story by Joe Newell has a chapter about this property. It is described as the oldest substantial house in the village whose owners Mrs and Mrs Owen Morton can trace the history back to the Domesday Survey of 1086. Of 9 hides in the village, one was held by Aluuold, fore-runner to one of the owners of Moynes Hall. In 1252 the holding of Berenger Le Moyne in Holywell was assessed as one hide, approx. 120 acres.

1276 bought by Abbot William de Godmanchester

1580 acquired by William Chaderton, rector of Holywell and President of  Queen’s College, from Thomas, son of Alexander East. Chaderton built the present house. Part of a moat survives and three fish ponds.


1911

John Arthur Butcher, 58, single, farmer, b Needingworth


1921

John Arthur Butcher, 68, farmer


1920s Butcher family. Johnny Butcher had had the fingers on his right hand bitten off by a horse. In WWI he bred horses for the Army. He was once paid twice for a congignment of horses but the Army refused to accept the payment back on the grounds that such mistakes were impossible.

Moynes Hall sold to Egbert Athelstone Jennings.


1939 Moynes Hall

Egbert Jennings, b 1871, cattle dealer employer

Rosa, b 1867,

 

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Holywell cum Needingworth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Holywell cum Needingworth

St Edmund’s College

47 Upper King Street, Royston

Rectory Farmhouse, 1 Chishill Road, Great Chishill

Goodyers Farmhouse, The Front, Holywell

Old Ferry Boat Inn, Holywell

19 Church Street, Needingworth

Brownlow’s Field, Needingworth Road, Holywell

Savernake, The Front, Holywell

Holywell cum Needingworth General Information

The Willows, 9 Church Street, Needingworth

Captain Edward’s Bike Shop, High Street, Needingworth

Appleshaw, Back Lane, Holywell

Anchor Cottage, The Front, Holywell