Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Huntingdon
  • Back Forward
A three-storey brick building with a central entrance, sash windows, five attic dormers, and cars parked in the foreground.

Castle Hills House, Huntingdon

Castle Hill House, 20 High Street, Huntingdon

History of Castle Hill House

Listed Building

1787. Gault brick with 1st floor band.

A large multi-story stone house with a sprawling lawn and glass-walled garden rooms attached to its right side.

Castle Hill House c1910

House was built in 1786 by Owsley Rowley. Owsley became Mayor of Huntingdon.

Veasey family owned the house between 1837 and 196, adding the extension on the left.


1939 – 1945

This was the HQ No 2 Group RAF Bomber Command 1939-42, then HQ No 8 ‘Pathfinder’ Group from June 1943.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • world war two

Projects

  • Huntingdon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Huntingdon

Hill House, 11 Brinkley Road, Carlton

King’s College School

4 Blinco Grove, Cambridge

149 High Street, Huntingdon

Montagu House, 81 High Street, Huntingdon

St Mary’s Street drill hall, Huntingdon

99 High Street, Huntingdon

72 – 76 High Street, Huntingdon

Huntingdon Union Workhouse

Grammar School Walk, Huntingdon

National Westminster Bank, 92 High Street, Huntingdon

136 High Street, Huntingdon

St John’s Cemetery, High Street, Huntingdon