Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

57 – 59 Perowne Street, Down the drain with David Lane

59 Perowne Street

The slogan ‘Down the drain with David Lane’ can still be seen, albeit faded, on the external wall of the former premises of Ray Walker, Motor Engineer, 59 Perowne Street.

It is likely that this graffito was painted in reaction to a speech which Cambridge’s then Conservative MP, Mr David Lane, made on Thursday 30 May 1968 in a debate on a Lords’ amendment to the Labour Government’s Industrial Expansion Bill.

In his speech, during which Mr Lane was repeatedly called to order by the speaker of the House of Commons, Dr Horace King (Later Baron Maybray-King), Mr Lane made repeated attempts to protest at what he described as the Government’s programme of ‘back-door nationalisation’ saying, (inter alia):

There has been and still is a widespread public fear of back-door nationalisation. The Government make light of it. […]

The type of scheme envisaged in the words of Clause 2 is one which “would not be undertaken without such financial support as is authorised by this section.” For these schemes from the financial viewpoint loans are a much preferable form of support. Loans would provide a sure return to the public funds at what may be a tricky time in the history of a venture. It is much fairer and more safe for the taxpayer who has seen too much money go down the drain in unwise ventures [This author’s emphasis]. There is a certain interest to come back throughout the term of the loan. This is a much better form of investment in these circumstances than an equity holding. It is easier to get the advance back and to keep public money circulating in desirable ventures.

This would suggest that the slogan was painted in spring 1968. One wonders who the painter was; if s/he is still alive and still living locally.

Notes

Timeline

1878:-

1884:

(No Nº) Denson, John Russell, builder, yard & workshops

1887:

(No Nº) Denson, John Russell, builder’s yard and carpenter’s workshops

1891:

(No Nº) Paul, T. C., stables, horse and carriage proprietor

1895:

(No Nº) Paul, T. C., stables, horse and carriage proprietor

1898:

(No Nº) Paul, T. C., stables, horse and carriage proprietor; Slingsby, R., builder’s workshop

1901:

(No Nº) Paul, T. C., stables, horse and carriage proprietor; Slingsby, R., builder’s workshop

1904:

(No Nº) Paul, T. C., stables, horse and carriage proprietor; Slingsby, R., builder’s workshop

1907:

57 & 59 Watts, J.A., wheelwright and blacksmith

1910-1940:

57 & 59 Watts, J.A., wheelwright and blacksmith

1948:

57 Bloy Albt. C. commssn. agt???; 57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr

1951:

57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr; 57 & 59 Game H. J. engnr

1953:

57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr; 57 & 59 Game (Cambridge) Ltd. genl. engnrs. Tel. No. 57744

1955:

57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr; 57 & 59 Game (Cambridge) Ltd. genl. engnrs. Tel. No. 57744

1957:

57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr; 57 & 59 GAME (CAMBRIDGE) LTD. genl. engnrs. A.I.D. approved. Tel. No. 57744

1960-64:

57 Bloy A. C. commssn. agt; 57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr

1965-68:

57 BLOY A. C. turf commission agent. Tel. Cambridge 55043 & 57372; 57 & 59 Walker Ray, motor engnr

1970:

57 BLOY A. C. turf commission agent. Tel. Cambridge 55043 & 57372; 59 (No listing)

1971-72:

57 Bloy A. C. turf commission agt

1973-75:

57 Bloy A. C. turf commission agt; (No Nº) Walker Roy, motor engnr

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.