Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward
A black and white close-up portrait of a woman with short dark hair sitting next to a dark-coated dog.

Marjory Stephenson, Burwell, Romsey House, Latham Road

274 Mill Road, Romsey House, Romsey Town Institute

History of 274 Mill Road

1908

By 1908, when he died, William Edmund Carey was living here. He and his wife had previously lived at Mostyn House on Brooklands Avenue.

At this time, Coleridge Road was called Romsey Avenue.

See Mill Road Cemetery entry

Black and white photo of a two-story house with three gables, timber-framed upper levels, bay windows, and a central porch.

Romsey House, Mill Road


11 June 1909
Romsey House, Mill Road, with its large gardens and shrubberies, was the residence of the late W. E. Curry and had been built for the late J. W. Prior to the designs of G. H. Shackle of Marlborough. Constructed in red brick in the Tudor style, it contained several exceptionally large rooms. The property, together with its fixtures, was purchased by the Romsey Town Institute Committee for £1,435, providing the Institute with a substantial permanent home. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.


1913

Romsey Town Institute

William Biggs, secretary

J Matthew, caretaker


1914

Suffragettes meeting in Romsey, Cambridge. May 1914


1920

Earle H Durnford

Annie Durnford

Marjory Stephenson, 1885-1948, biochemist

Herbert Ernest Woodman

In 1891 Marjory was in Burwell

In 1935 Marjory was at 16 Latham Road

See ‘Cambridge Women – Twelve Portraits’, chapter 5 , Joan Mason, 1996.


1925

Graydon Archibald McCullum

Beatrice McCullum

Marjory Stephenson


1962 vacant


A brick wall with a wooden gate, an EF sign on a pillar, and tree foliage partially obscuring a red brick building behind.

EF 2021

2020

EF Language Schools

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest
  • Women's Suffrage

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

11 Mill Lane, The Ship, Miller’s Yard

10 Richmond Terrace, Thompson’s Lane

5 Claremont, Hills Road

398 Mill Road

165, Harwood House, Mill Road

270 Mill Road, Romsey House

116 (2 Cluny Villas) Mill Road

168 Mill Road

89 (47) (45) Mill Road, Cambridge

7 Mill Road, Waverley House

documents

25 Mill Road, Palm Villa

11 Mill Road

83 (41) (49) Mill Road, Durham Ox