Search by topic
Search by text
Turpin's Yard in 1964, B.MILL.K64 1660, Courtesy of the Cambridgeshire Collection
315-7 Mill Road, Turpin’s Yard
History of 315-7 Mill Road
In 1966 Frank ‘Dutch’ Holland set up a second petrol station at 315-7 Mill Road, Turpin’s Yard. Frank was unable to get support from Texaco for a self service petrol station; the company believed that self service would never take off in the UK. (see ‘D-Day Plus One, Dr Adam Wilkins and Frank Holland, 2007)
In order to promote the new site he rented a Triumph Tiger for four days and paid the well known actress Liz Fraser to come to the opening ceremony. the self service concept was a big success; it was only the second such station in the country. The business here was also dealership for Rootes cars but in 1974 the firm switched to Datsun. Datsun were later taken over by Nissan.