Search by topic
Search by text
Cambridge Union Workhouse, Ditchburn Place, Mill Road
History of Cambridge Union Workhouse
According to 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge the original building was of two storeys. In 1836 the Poor Law Commissioners ordered that the fourteen parishes of the Borough should be united for the administration of the laws for the Relief of the Poor. Only six of the existing parochial workhouses were retained and a new Central Union Workhouse was designed to take 250 inmates. Designed by John Smith, occupied in 1838, the site cost £480.
A detailed description of the Cambridge Union Workhouse can be found:
Leonard Davidson was born in the Union Workhouse on 14/9/1888.